Wednesday, April 04, 2018

PMP Live Lessons Success Story: Chase Your Dreams and You Will Surely Succeed

By Prithwish Banerjee, PMP




Introduction
The nature of my work was gradually changing from an individual contributor to leading a team, managing multiple resources, engaging with different stakeholders and so on. I strongly felt the need for PMP® certification to cope with this changing scenario.

PMP Coaching Experience
I always prefer physical classroom training over virtual classes. After doing some research in google, I selected one. At that point, I didn’t know that a wonderful coach is awaiting to take the class and make the 4-day classroom interactive and interesting. After attending the classroom training, I got a clear idea of all the topics, which I need to go through as part of my PMP preparation. 


Satya gave some great tips and tricks to tackle the questions. Satya’s classes were loaded with information and the best part is he will make sure that everyone participates in the class.

Own Study
I think this is the most important part of PMP journey – preparation with proper planning. I started with the PMBOK guide® 5th Edition and soon realized that it is going to take a lot of time. I was looking for some course that takes less time to cover without compromising on the concept and understanding of the subject. And then I was introduced to Satya’s PMP Live Lessons. 

I studied 2-3 hours everyday and in weekends, it extended to 8-10 hours. Only after completing the full Live sessions, I went for the-full length question sets. I didn’t miss any question – be it smart cards, practice questions or any other – from the course. It took close to 3 months for me to prepare fully.


Review – PMP LIVE LESSONS
I decided to buy PMP Live session to prepare in quick time. The Yogic tips are useful to remember things. The Yogic revision will not allow forget old things while you proceed in the course to learn new ones. 

There are many questions to practice in the entire course material. The entire course is in video format. Moreover, the special videos in some knowledge areas like Earned Value Management (EVM), Change Requests (CR), Critical Path Measurement (CPM), Risk management, Stakeholder management, Communication management etc will help to visualize the concepts. From these areas, I faced a lot of questions in my PMP exam.

Today at the end of my successful PMP journey, I can say purchasing this course material is the best decision I took in my PMP journey. It is worth investing money in this course.

PMP Exam Experience
I scheduled the exam online in Bangalore centre on March 16 2018. I scheduled the exam only after completing PMP Live Lessons course (excluding the practice question set). I had a month’s time left after I schedule the exam. In this 1 month, I was left with revision and practice all 5 full-length question sets. 

Now coming to the real exam: I break the exam in four parts – 1 hour for each and target was to answer 50 questions in 1 hour. I didn’t mark any question for revision. This strategy is purely “My way” based on my strengths and weaknesses. Please make a plan that best suits you.

I faced 4-5 lengthy questions. Rest all were mid to short length. I faced 8 mathematical questions and I am confident that I did all these 8 questions correctly. The mathematical questions were from these areas. 
  • 1 question from number of communication channels (don’t forget to consider PM as one of the Stakeholders!!!)
  • 1 question from EVM graph (very similar to Satya’s latest updates in March'18 for the Live Lessons course)
  • 2 questions from Schedule Variance (SV), Cost Variance (CV) and Earned Value (EV) from Earned Value Management.
  • 1 question from Standard Deviation.
  • 1 question from project selection.
  • 2 questions from PERT estimates.

Other than the above mathematical ones, I faced questions on these.
  • Maximum number of questions from Change Requests, after that Stakeholder management and then Communication management. 
  • Some tricky questions around kick-off meeting like – you organized a kick off meeting and found one key stakeholder is not present, what should you do? 
  • Questions on Risk response strategies.
  • Questions on Interpersonal Skills/Soft Skills.
  • The Project Manager’s role in a project life cycle.
  • Questions on Enterprise Environmental Factors (EEF), and Organizational Process Assets (OPA).
  • Tools and Techniques related - Benchmarking, Decomposition, 7 basic tools of Quality, Motivational Theories.
  • Questions on Contract types.

At the end, I clicked END button, took the survey. Then Congratulations message appeared. I scored Above Target. This feeling cannot be expressed in words. It’s a hard-earned one which need to be experienced only by yourself!

Suggestions for PMP Aspirants
My suggestion to all PMP aspirants is you need to do solid planning based on your strength and weakness. No matter what, be prepare to sacrifice your social life to some extent during preparation time. Daily study is necessary. Giving a break put you few steps backward from where you left last day. Choose a good study material, get started and things will fall in place.

Conclusion
PMP is what I need for my current role and I want to be involve in PMI chapters soon to share my knowledge. I have plans to attend webinars, seminars related to PMP in Bangalore as well. 

I can also be reached in my personal mail id/cell. 
prithwish.banerjee@gmail.com 
+919831852311

Brief Profile
Prithwish Banerjee. 12 years of experience working as Team Lead in Visa Inc., Bangalore.





    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sign- or Log-in and put your name while asking queries in comments. Any comment is welcome - comments, review or criticism. But off-topic, abusive, defamatory comments will be moderated or may be removed.